Smoothing away lines and wrinkles can be done in a matter of minutes.
Wouldn’t it be great if we could all discover the one thing that would prevent our skin from prematurely aging? While everyone is still looking for that Fountain of Youth, there are other ways to reduce those early signs of aging and to take years off your skin without having to undergo serious surgeries or invasive treatments. Our Forest Hills, NY, dermatologist, Dr. Tamara Moss, can tell you about Botox.
What is Botox?
Okay, so you’ve probably heard of Botox before. Perhaps you’ve seen ads on TV or in magazines talking about this simple injectable treatment that can smooth fine lines and wrinkles of the face; however, how much do you really know about Botox and what it can do for you?
First and foremost, Botox is made up of a purified medical-grade form of botulinum toxin, which temporarily paralyzes certain muscles groups to prevent them from contracting. Since the muscles are unable to contract this instantly smooths away dynamic wrinkles (wrinkles that appear when making facial expressions like smiling or frowning).
What are the benefits of Botox?
As you might imagine, the major benefit to getting Botox from our Forest Hills skin doctor is that you will get a safe and effective cosmetic treatment. There are a lot of spas and “Botox parties” out there; however, it takes a qualified medical professional to be able to safely administer this cosmetic treatment. When you come into our office you can trust that we know how to safely perform this non-surgical procedure to minimize side effects and complications.
Another major benefit is that we can take years off your skin without ever needing to turn to invasive procedures or surgery. While Botox won’t be able to give you the results of a face-lift, it can be a great way to tackle those early signs of aging as well as mild-to-severe wrinkles without the post-treatment downtime or needing to undergo more aggressive and expensive treatments.
Plus, Botox can treat a variety of different wrinkles. You might be right for Botox if you are looking to reduce or even eliminate these common issues:
- Crow’s feet (wrinkles around the eyes)
- Forehead wrinkles
- Drooping brow
- Laugh lines (also referred to as nasolabial folds)
- Wrinkles on or around the chin
If you are interested in getting Botox in Forest Hills, NY, turn to our board-certified dermatologist and caring compassionate staff at Moss Dermatology for the treatment and results you want.
There are several cosmetic dermatology procedures that can improve the appearance of your skin. Dr. Tamara Moss, in Forest Hills, NY, can help with any questions you may have, from botox, microdermabrasion and acne treatment.
Botox is an FDA-approved treatment. It is used to eliminate and/or reduce wrinkles and creases on your face. It does this by paralyzing the muscles that contract and the create wrinkles and creases. The muscles are contracted due to the release of a chemical called acetylcholine. When the patient is injected with Botox, the production of acetylcholine is blocked, therefore stopping the contraction of the muscles.
The most common problem areas are frown and worry lines, crow's feet and laugh lines, which are caused as a result of years of laughing, squinting and frowning. After the Botox treatment, you will start to notice smoother skin, which should last about three to six months.
Alpha hydroxy acids such as glycolic acid and beta hydroxy acids, like salicylic acid, can improve the appearance of your skin. Chemical peels can:
- exfoliate skin which makes it feel softer and smoother
- improve the fine lines and wrinkles
- improve acne
- help fade brown patches and uneven pigmentation
- improves dull, lifeless skin
Microdermabrasion safely exfoliates and resurfaces your skin by utilizing fine crystals. The skin turns red and is irritated, but not for extended periods time. Aggressive treatment may be necessary, so a vacuum pressure is used eased to penetrate deeper layers of skin.
Treatments help with:
- improving skin appearance
- reversing the aging process
- improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and blotchiness due to sun damage.
- helping to stimulate the layers of skin to produce more collagen
- improves acne and acne scarring
- fades brown patches and uneven pigmentation
- improves dull skin
The secretion of sebum from sebaceous glands is a natural process. This oil gland is meant to provide your skin with the moisture it needs, but this isn't always the case. The sebum moves from the root of the hair follicle to the top, where the surface of the skin is located. When you're suffering from acne, the sebum doesn't reach the surface of the skin and, instead, creates a blockage, which consists of sebum and dead cells.
- Benzoyl Peroxide, which may help in reducing the blockage of the skin pores
- Your hair follicles are susceptible to infections, which is why your Forest Hills dermatologist may give you antibiotics, either oral and topical
- Using sources of Vitamin A, such as tretinoin, helps exfoliate your blocked pores
- Some people may use a metal instrument which can remove and extract whiteheads and blackheads manually or by force
If you have any questions or concerns, call Dr. Moss in Forest Hills, NY.
What your dermatologist in Forest Hills, NY wants you to know
If you have unwanted hair, you’ve probably thought about electrolysis, but have you ever thought about laser hair removal? The truth is lasers are used in many fields, including dermatology. There are many skin conditions that lasers can treat, and one of them is removing unwanted hair. Dr. Tamara Moss at Moss Dermatology in Forest Hills, NY wants to introduce you to this very effective, quick method to remove unwanted hair.
How Does it Work?
Dr. Moss uses the LightSheer Diode Laser which produces a focused beam of light. The light affects hair follicles, causing them to be unable to produce hair growth. There are many advantages of the LightSheer Diode Laser when compared to electrolysis. For example, the LightSheer Diode Laser system is:
- More comfortable; the handpiece cools the skin during treatment, only damaging the hair follicle and not the skin around it.
- More versatile; laser treatment can remove hair from your chin, lip, underarms, and other small areas, but it can also remove hair from large areas including your back, legs, and bikini area.
- Much faster; the laser pulses for a tiny fraction of a second, and typically patients require fewer treatments to eliminate hair growth. Many patients report permanent hair loss after 3 to 5 treatments.
Laser treatments are completely safe and usually take between a few minutes to an hour, depending on the area being treated. You may experience a tingling feeling with treatment, and your skin may appear slightly red after treatment, however, these effects disappear soon after your visit. There is no downtime, so you can get back to enjoying your day.
If you are tired of plucking, shaving, and electrolysis, it’s time to experience state-of-the-art laser hair removal. Why settle for old-school methods when you can enjoy the convenience, comfort, and effectiveness of laser hair removal? For more information about laser hair removal and other dermatology treatments call Dr. Tamara Moss at Moss Dermatology in Forest Hills, NY today!
Sun spots, stretch marks, fine lines and wrinkles create a look you're just not happy with. You'd like a refreshed, younger appearance, but complex plastic surgery procedures are costly, and frankly, you don't want them. What's a good alternative for your mild cosmetic skin issues? Microdermabrasion from our Forest Hills, NY dermatologist, Dr. Tamara Moss, could be your answer.
What exactly is microdermabrasion?
Minimally invasive, comfortable and budget-friendly, microdermabrasion from Moss Dermatology in Forest Hills is a marvelous cosmetic skin procedure that produces amazing results. Gentle, yet effectively removing and smoothing thickened and discolored areas of the epidermis on the face, microdermabrasion achieves a rejuvenated, smooth look for patients of all ages.
Teens, for instance, benefit from microdermabrasion when their skin has been pockmarked with acne scars, thickened by rosacea or marred by blackheads. Adults like the anti-aging benefits of this 30-minute treatment as Dr. Moss uses it to:
- Smooth fine lines and wrinkles, such as crows feet
- Lighten the appearance of sun and age spots
- Decrease the look of stretch marks and large pores
- Activate collagen, a protein responsible for the youthful appearance and elasticity of skin
How microdermabrasion works
Your Forest Hills dermatologist will examine your skin and tell you if microdermabrasion is right for you. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons urges you to seek treatment from a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who will fully evaluate your overall health and knows the proper way to apply this cosmetic skin treatment.
There's really no special preparation or after care for microdermabrasion. Dr. Moss may use either a exfoliating crystal and vacuum or a special diamond head wand to gently scrap away the outer layer of your skin. She'll concentrate on specific areas of concern, such as age spots, according to your individualized care plan.
Patients report a mild vibrating sensation during microdermabrasion. Afterwards, the skin looks more taut and clearer. While minor bruising, redness and puffiness often results post-procedure, these side effects quickly fade.
Most of Dr. Moss's patients see noticeable improvement on even the most stubborn of skin defects with just one microdermabrasion session. Follow-up sessions are scheduled as needed to treat more extensive flaws, and periodic touch-ups continue the rejuvenated look that microdermabrasion creates.
Dr. Moss and her friendly team would love to show you more about microdermabrasion and the other aesthetic services offered at Moss Dermatology. For your personal consultation, just contact our Forest Hills, NY office at (718) 268-3161.
Laser treatments offer a pain-free way to improve the appearance of your skin. With the help of our Forest Hills, NY, dermatologist, Dr. Tamara Moss of Moss Dermatology, you can benefit from IPL facial photorejuvenation, an innovative cosmetic dermatology treatment.
Who can benefit from IPL treatments?
Intense pulsed laser (IPL) treatments are used to treat a variety of skin conditions that affect the face, including:
- Acne: Pimples develop when your pores become clogged with sebum. Although the oily substance helps keep your skin soft, too much of it can cause acne. IPL treatments shrink your sebaceous glands, reducing the production of oil. The laser treatment also increases collagen production, which may decrease scarring from acne lesions.
- Fine Lines and Wrinkles: Increasing collagen production also helps diminishes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Collagen is a natural body protein responsible for skin elasticity and tone.
- Age Spots, Freckles and Dark Patches: It's not unusual to develop a few age spots, freckles or darker areas of skin as you age. IPL treatments target and break down melanin, the pigment that gives the spots their color. After the melanin breaks down, it's absorbed by your body.
- Broken Capillaries, Spider Veins and Rosacea: Laser treatments are just as effective at breaking up the red blood cells that make broken capillaries, spider veins or areas of red skin noticeable.
- Hair Removal: If you're tired of tweezing and waxing stray hairs, you may want to consider IPL treatments instead. The energy generated by the laser stops new hairs from growing by damaging hair follicles.
Is IPL treatment painful?
Producing laser light in pulses, rather than one continuous beam, helps eliminate pain. In fact, most people only notice a mild warmth or stinging sensation during their sessions. Before you begin your treatment in our Forest Hills office, we'll apply a cool gel to your skin to help keep you comfortable and reduce skin irritation. During the treatment, a stream of cool air aimed at your skin will reduce the sensation of warmth. You can immediately return to your usual activities after an IPL session. Although you may notice slight reddening of your skin, it will disappear within a few days.
Cosmetic dermatology treatments like IPL facial rejuvenation offer a simple, effective way to enhance your appearance. Call our Forest Hills, NY, dermatologist, Dr. Moss of Moss Dermatology, at (718) 268-3161 to schedule your appointment.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.